Cooking vacations - Hamantaschen
Haman's pockets - triangular cookies filled with poppy seeds said to represent Haman's three-cornered hat
Ingredients for dough
31/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup finely ground almonds
275 gr. butter
1 cup icing sugar
3 Tbs. sugar
Ingredients for filling:
300gr. ground poppy seeds
1 cup sugar
11/2 cup milk / orange juice
3 Tbs. honey
lemon zest (option)
- Sift flour and almonds.
- Beat butter with icing sugar and sugar.
- Add eggs to the butter.
- Add the sifted flour & almonds, baking powder and salt to the butter.
- Knead until dough is formed.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least an hour.
- Cook milk, sugar and poppy seeds 15 min.
- Add the honey and lemon zest and cook 5 min more. Let cool.
- Roll out the dough thin and create circles.
- Put about 1/2 tsp. of filling in the middle of each circle. Fold the dough into a triangle and pinch the edges.
Bake about 10 min. in 180 c, until golden.