Cooking in Israel - Pita Bread
1/2 kg white flour
15 gr. fresh yeast or 8 gr. dry yeast
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs. brown sugar
11/2 Tbs. olive oil
350 gr. water
- Heat the oven with the baking pan to 2200 C (4500 F).
- Put the flour in a large mixing bowl and mix with the salt.
- Spread around the yeast and the sugar (yeast must not touch salt).
- Add the olive oil and half of the water and start mixing.
- Add gradually the rest of the water while mixing. The dough will look sticky.
- Keep kneading the dough about 10 min until the dough is soft and separates from the bowl sides.
- Cover the bowl and let rise about an hour. The dough will double itself
- Remove the dough to a powdered surface.
Create 8-10 balls leave to rise again for about 10 min in a warm place.
- Flatten each ball to rounds of about 8 diameters.
- Bake in a hot 2200C (4500F) oven 10 min.
The pita is ready when the air bubble is seen in its center.