Cooking Vacations - Parmesan ChallahBread
1 kg. all purpose sifted flour
50 gr. fresh yeast or 25 gr. dry yeast
21/4 – 21/2 cups water
1 Tbs. salt
1/2 cup olive / sunflower oil
200 gr. parmesan grated
For the coating:
½ cup sesame / poppy seeds / sunflower seeds / salt
- Mix the yeast into the flour and add 2/3 of the water first into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the salt, the oil and rest of the water until soft dough is formed.
- Take out the dough from the bowl open it few times with your palm and roll it into a ball shape.
- Place the dough in a floury bowl covered. Leave it to double about 40-60 min.
- Divide the dough into 6 balls and let it raise covered another 15 min.
- Form a roll from each ball. Open flat each roll and fill with parmesan. Close back to roll and form a braid.
- Brush the Challah with the egg and spread the sesame seeds.
- Leave in baking pan to rise again until ready (check the dough with your finger – push the dough with your finger and if it comes back slowly it's ready for baking).
- Bake in a hot oven1900C 40 min.